Cranky is a large grumpy dockyard crane, who works and lives at Brendam.
Cranky arrived on Sodor in 1960. When he was still new, he insulted Thomas and Percy by calling them bugs. However after a strong storm and a rather hard pull of the rope by Percy, he has leaned his lesson and has reformed.
The reason why Cranky is so grumpy is because he doesn't get enough sleep at night. He one time let his anger get the best of him and knocked the whole goods shed down at Brendam Docks.
He was involved in the starting of the jet engine out of rage, which pushed Thomas down the line very fast.
Cranky is grumpy because he doesn't get any sleep at night. He works all day and his only company is the seagulls.
Cranky is painted olive with black and brown pulleys amongst his mechanism and two work plates on each side that read "CRANKY".
- Season 1 - Edward Gets it Right, Harvey's Goods Train (cameo), Shortcut to Castle Loch (cameo), Salty's Story (cameo), Fishy Troubles (cameo), and Big Strong Murdoch (cameo)
- Season 2 - Fergus and the Electric Engines (cameo), Stories of the Sea, Hiro and the Coaches, Scottish Engines (cameo), Disaster on Sodor, and Flying Scotsman Departs (cameo)
- Season 3 - Edward and the Thieves, Midnight Mavis, Ghost Stories, Bill, Ben and Derek, and Cold Crews
- Season 4 - Triple Trouble, Timothy and Dennis, Stories of Digging (cameo), Special Engines, and The Wrong Sort of Coal
- Season 5 - The Big City Engine, Thumper and the Avalanche, Stanley's Branch Line (mentioned), Samson and Logan, and No Need for Timothy
- Season 6 - The New Diesel Fuel and Timothy the Ghost Engine
- Season 7 - Love for the Sea and Salty and the Small Engines
- Season 8 - Waddling Wilbert (cameo), Henry Gets the Coaches, Lampless Lance (cameo), and Bradford Returns (cameo)
- Thomas and the Storm
- The Ghost Engine of Sodor
- The Curse of the Kipper
- Sodor and the Mystery of Christmas
- The Big Race
- Cranky was the first character introduced to the TV series who was not Railway Series-related.