Rex is a green engine who works on the Arlesdale Railway.
After Rex's old line in England closed down in 1967, he, Mike, and Bert were brought by The Fat Controller and transferred to the Arlesdale Railway for mining and tourist traffic. After the railway secured a deal to transport wool to Arlesburgh, Rex was chosen to pull the first train. But after a negligent farmhand spilt some wool bales on the rails, Rex hit them and derailed. His train was rescued, but Rex had to remain there for several days until he could be lifted out.
Rex is a playful green miniature engine with a strong sense of humour. He is a hard worker, and is the natural leader of the little railway engines (in spite of the fact that Mike prefers to think he’s the leader). Rex is very proud of his railway and a great friend to the other engines, but he can’t help teasing Mike to stop him getting too full of himself. Most of the time Mike manages to return the banter, but sometimes he gets a little wound up. Luckily Rex is very good at helping Mike see the funny side again. He sometimes has problems with traction.
Rex is painted NWR green with red and yellow lining, a brass dome, green wheels, red nameplates with gold writing mounted each side of his smokebox and "Arlesdale" written in gold on his tender.
- Season 1 - Oliver and the Snowman
- Season 2 - Duck and Dilly, Small Engines, and Mike and James
- Season 3 - Hector the Ballast Hopper and The World's Strongest Small Engine
- Season 4 - It's Not Easy Being Green and Duncan and Mike
- Season 5 - Bert Tries His Best, Culdee and the Enthusiasts (cameo), and Traction Troubles
- Season 6 - I'm the Leader
- Season 7 - Love for the Sea, Salty and the Small Engines, and The Blaze
He is likely to appear in the eighth season.
- Rex uses Mac's original whistle sound.
|Rex • Bert • Mike • Frank • Jock • Blister I and Blister II • Sigrid of Arlesdale|