Stafford is a battery-electric shunting engine.
When Stafford first came to the railway, Spencer was asked to show him around, but he often ran out of battery, making Spencer look silly. However, after Spencer ran out of coal, he shunted him to Knapford and was given a warm welcome by all the engines. Later, he wanted to make noises like a steam engine, but only ended up scaring Farmer McColl's sheep away, but helped him reunite with them.
Stafford is a humble, courteous little chap with a Yorkshire accent. He is a very different sort of engine from any other on the Fat Controller's railway. This is because Stafford is an electric battery engine; he is not a steam engine or a Diesel engine. Stafford is fueled by recharging his battery, which needs to be done frequently so he can go about his work as a shunting engine. Stafford is very patient, calm, and mannerly. He does not let the antics of the bigger, haughtier engines bother him too much, keeps level-headed as he goes about his day, and brushes off any troubles without much fuss. He is more than content with taking things slow and not having to travel long distances and he is more than proud to work on the Fat Controller's railway.
Stafford is made of veneered wood with yellow lining and his number and gold nameplates on his sides.
- Season 2 - Molly's Coal Delivery (cameo), Dave's New Home (cameo), Stepney's Journey Out (cameo), and Flying Scotsman Departs (cameo)
- Season 3 - Unique Stafford
- Season 4 - Serious Samson (cameo) and George and Buster (cameo)
- Season 5 - Stanley's Branch Line
- Season 6 - Mystery Coming Through, James and the Royal Train (cameo), and Edward and the Express
- Season 8 - Henry Gets the Coaches (cameo)
- Stafford is the first electric engine introduced in the television series and the first ever named.
- Stafford's number comes from the year his basis was built and his name comes from where his basis worked.
- Stafford's basis was made for shunting only. Despite that, he has been seen pulling goods trains on the main and branch lines.
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Geoffrey • Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • Molly • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Billy • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Scruff • Belle • Porter • Glynn • Ryan • Diesel • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • Dave • Derek • 'Arry and Bert • Diesel 10 • Salty • Dennis • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Philip • Flynn • Winston • Stafford • Jeff • Angus • Taro •|